Third Day: May 10

 Wednesday May 10, 2023

8:50 pm PST

  

    Today was the best day of senior project so far. My mentor, Charlene, connected me with someone she works with through her organization Pink Paws for the Cause, and I spent a large part of my day in Fremont helping take care of a litter of kittens that were rescued yesterday. The kittens had been found in an empty hot tub nearby the other day in a malnourished state. The first thing I did was weigh all of the kittens, I weighed all of the kittens and documented the data to keep track of their health and future growth. At about two weeks old and with their previously irregular eating patterns, the kittens weighed between 0.5 and 0.9 pounds. I then fed the kittens using a syringe and the cat formula mixture provided since most of the kittens were in a fragile state. Feeding all of them took a lot longer than I could have imagined since they didn’t like to be separated from each other. In order to get them to a healthy weight, I also needed to feed them each 5 doses which I had to end up rotating through each of them since they didn’t seem used to eating as much as I needed to feed them. The best part was getting to hold them since they are each so tiny and I don’t think I’ve ever held a baby kitten/animal as small and newborn before today.  

Hours: 6

Total hours: 13


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Reflection #1

Day 7: May 15

Second Day: Tuesday May 9